Monday, May 17, 2010

What Drives Motivation




Probably this is one of the best Youtube videos I have ever seen.
Initially I found it on Loic Le Meur blog (thanks Loic) and I was stunt by the idea!
The reason is very obvious, because I saw myself in what this video is talking about!


What it says is the following:
Studies have shown that people who make physical efforts are motivated by money rewards, however people who are into brain activities such as R&D, creativity, and the like are not really motivated by prize rewards! Of course salaries MUST be fair in order not to let them worry about their living, but if this is the only given incentive; their performance will go down the hill.
People doing brain activities actually are looking for ways to meet the challenges and acquire mastery. A typical example is the highly skilled people who write open source softwares like linux, apache and many others…


This has reminded of an old story; I was just a fresh graduate and was recruited by a startup called TrilogGroup. At that time I was a guy who is fan of compilers; I was amazed of how these pieces of software work. Since my company, at the time, was doing workflow software I thought that the best way to make this software highly customizable is to integrate in it a Javascript engine that can make calls to any Java APIs. I worked on this feature during the weekends and once I had something to show, I presented it to my employer and I was extremely happy when I was told to work on it as a priority feature in the product.


Later on, in my career, I worked on many cool stuff during my free time. However never went to the end with them because somehow circumstances were not really encouraging.

Bottom line, if you are a person who has a dream or a purpose, don't shy away from it. You can work on it at night, in the weekends, during vacations...Because believe me there is nohing better than the FEELING OF SUCCESS !

No comments:

Post a Comment